mowing a lawn with a scythe

Views:14087|Rating:4.95|View Time:1:Minutes|Likes:94|Dislikes:1
Mowing a lawn with a scythe uses no petrol, creates no noise or pollution and is good exercise

1. MtnDrew406 says:

It also takes forever. You forgot to add that.

2. Vince Canger says:

you forgot to mention the Badass Crop Circles you can make with these beasts, too

3. John Armata says:

All-in all, a fairly stupid comment! How else is gonna make an educational video? And it didn't seem to work on you.

4. Richard Brown says:

Yes the blade remains in contact with the ground at all times, sliding over the cut sward. The blade needs to be set-up carefully so that the leading cutting edge rides a cm or so higher than the back (this setting is called the 'lay'). the blade needs to be perfectly sharp as well. You might have a job achieving these with your dollar auction scythe.

5. Alex's Odds and Ends says:

When you mow do you let the back edge of the scythe ride along the ground with the cutting edge slightly higher up? I am restoring and re-snathing an old scythe a bought at an auction for a dollar and I want to try to mow my lawn with it while still being neat.

6. alfredo alfaro says:

how about the oil consumed to power the battery used to film this?

7. Richard Brown says:

Absolutely no alcohol, suntan lotion or grass was consumed during the making of this video!!!

8. Simon Damant says:

what about the alcohol you consumed I saw you have a swig and the eavy breathing, God how do the birds put up with it. On a technical issue your camera does not cope well with the white legs better get a suntan on them 🙂

9. Richard Brown says:

Thanks for your feedback. My blade is sharp – you cant mow a lawn without a fine edge. I am bringing my scythe back quite far – I am just letting my scythe flow with the natural swing of my body, with what feels right for me at the time. There is no weight in the cut grass so I am not needing to put in great amount of energy in, and at the empty back part of the return stroke the blade is just gliding effortlessly.

10. Alonzo Branson says:

Disposing of the grass cuttings would be the only issue I see.

11. harryfaber says:

No petrol used? You must feel guilty that you did not contribute to the profits of the petro-chemical corporations!
    Good stuff, well done.

12. Ed Anthony says:

Right! I just got mine and it already beats my human powered reel mower.

13. akyramoto says:

beautiful!!
    I love seeing how many people scythe with bare feet!! lol
    a whole lot different than gearing up with weed wacker preparing for random projectiles

14. ThanksgivingWalk says:

Well done! You make it look so easy.